St Mary the Virgin Parish Church - Hutton
village of Hutton is in the county of Somerset, some four miles
from Weston-super-Mare and the Bristol Channel. It is bordered
to the north by the Hutton moors and to the south by pastures
and woodland which are part of the Western seaboard of the Mendips.
These woods and fields are part of the Mendip Hills Area of
Outstanding Natural Beauty.
St Mary the Virgin is a traditional church offering
a wide range of services and involvement within the community
of Hutton. The church serves the parish which stretches from
Oldmixon to part of the new Elborough estate.
It is bounded by Uphill, Bleadon, Banwell, Locking
and Weston Parishes. We run Home Groups, Women's Fellowship,
Bell ringers Group and Children's work, including Holiday Clubs
Hutton is within the Diocese of Bath and Wells.
See the Bath and
Wells Website and a Map
of the Deanaries within the area.
We are twinned with the Church of All Saints Battersea,
and St Stephen's Church Debaso, Kenya.
To see photos of our church visit the Photo
For a Guided tour and more about the history see
St Mary's Guide and History
The Benefice of Hutton and Locking
The Parishes of St Mary the Virgin, Hutton and
St Augustine’s Locking are part of the one group or Benefice
sharing the same Priest-in-Charge. Each church has its own identity
with Hutton being more traditional and Locking more informal.
Both churches work together and have a joint Leadership Team,
Alpha Course, a joint Pastoral Team, a joint Ministry Team and
a joint Home Group Leaders group. On a fifth Sunday we worship
together in one of the churches.We also share an administrator
who is based in Locking Church Centre. Both churches have the
• To worship God as Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
• To grow in their relationship with God through prayer
• To build a sense of family in each church and jointly.
• To serve and reach out to each of the communities that
we live in.
• To do all this in the name of Jesus
Both churches are friendly and very open to new
people joining – they are loving communities of people
who love Jesus and who want to share this with others.
St Mary’s Church cares
Lord, teach us how to pray. Never has it been
more important for us to repeat this request made by the disciples
so many years ago. For those who would value prayer, for themselves
or others, we have a:
This means that a prayer request can be made via
Kay Cole (811424) and she will send this to a list of people
who want to be actively involved in the prayer life of the church.
Your requests for prayer can also be pinned to the board at
the back of church and Virginia will see that these are kept
up to date.
St Mary's Bells
bells of St Mary's Church have rung out over the village of
Hutton for at least 450 years. They are rung for services, weddings
and funerals. The bells have, also, been rung to mark notable
occasions; in all probability the victory at Waterloo in 1815..
More recently thay have been rung to commemorate the Millennium,
the Bi-Centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 2005 and half
muffled to mourn Diana, Princess of Wales & The Queen Mother..
The church clock has told the time to the people
of Hutton for over 100 years, chiming the hour and the quarters
each day. The clock face is visible on the north side of the
The Tower of St Mary's Church contained five bells,
the earliest dating back to 1637. This bell could have been
cast in the churchyard. Little work had been carried out on
the bells since 1915 when the third bell was recast and they
were in need repair.
Work commenced in September 2009 with the removal
of the clock by J B Joyce, followed by the bells in October
by the Bell Engineer Matthew Higby. We acquired a reclaimed
treble, which together with the five original bells, were tuned
together at Whitechapel foundry and are now a harmonious ring
of six. The frame and the bells were returned to the tower in
October 2010, followed at a later date by the auto wound clock.
Since then, they are rung for Sunday services, weddings and
Bells before restoration.
Bells after restoration
The service for the Re-dedication of the bells
at St Mary the Virgin, Hutton took place on Sunday 23 January
2011. Conducted by Rt. Revd Peter Maurice Bishop of Taunton